Thursday, February 7, 2008

Thank You Mitt Romney

Since writing that blog yesterday that Hannity and all talk show personalities needs to quell the bashing of a candidate that they never supported, former governor Mitt Romney took a very brave and courageous stance that took me by surprise.

Romney decided at 1pm at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) in Washington, D.C. to announce that he would step aside to allow the Republican party and country to unite behind the leading candidate for the GOP nomination. Romney stated, "If I fight on in my campaign, all the way to the convention, I would forestall the launch of a national campaign and make it more likely that Senator Clinton or Obama would win. And in this time of war, I simply cannot let my campaign, be a part of aiding a surrender to terror."

That was the most honorable and unselfish act by an ambitious and desirable candidate for the seat of the Presidency. Romney had put up a fantastic campaign and he would be a perfect running mate for the GOP nominee. I am humbled to see Romney put COUNTRY above his own ambitions. I respect his candor that he does not want this country to fall prey to a Liberal President. Also, Romney noticed that continuing this race will further divide this country and does not allow time to regroup the base in supporting the Republican nominee.

I was not the only one who felt that way when I wrote that blog yesterday. I feel the passion of your support toward your candidate, but we need to step up beyond that and acknowledge that it is between a Republican versus a Liberal Democrat in the November election.

I hope that the Conservative radio personalities will reflect what I just said. While driving home from work and listen to the evening talk shows, I notice a calmer attitude than it was a week ago. It seems that they are in shock and denial, which is acceptable. I am looking forward how they dictate themselves in the coming weeks. It is their responsibility as Conservatives that they ignite and unite the base. We cannot allow a Liberal Democrat to ruin this country. Their idea of change is to increase taxes, take away our liberties, restrict our voice, grow the size of this government without growing the economy, and destroy the military making us defenseless.

The man does not supercede the Conservative ideology. At the CPAC conference, McCain gave his pledge and went on record to keep Conservatism alive. Today, he made a good start in bringing the base together. He has a long way to go before the September Republican convention, but it is a good start.

One thing is for sure. McCain has not faltered in keeping his word. At least that is a comforting thought.