Monday, November 10, 2008

The Military Never Gets Credited With A Job Well Done

I'm honored to stand next to a military serviceman/woman. I'm honored to shake hands of veteran that I don't know. I am embarrassed by Americans who say one thing and do another. I hear the support of our military, but actions does speak louder than words. I get pissed off when universities and college don't allow the military to canvas on their campus, but allow a Iranian dictator to plead his case to the student body. I get annoyed to see a serviceman in uniform sitting in the mist of civilians in a crowded airport or a food court and get ignored. I get irate when a parent stomps their foot down not letting their sons or daughters serve this great nation. Parents don't own their children.

So, I'm assuming that when a half-dozen off-duty Marines raced through a burning motel and saved sleeping guests in that fire will be downplayed as local news and ignored by the general public.

Well, that just happened yesterday around 8 a.m. at a local Americas Best Value Inn motel in California. These off-duty Marines saved all 6 sleeping guest, including one elderly man who required oxygen after he was carried to safety by one of the Marines.

These Camp Pendleton-based Marines, who were on leave, were also staying at the motel. These young men are heroes, but I only saw one news network talking about it. This is pathetic. I understand the military never gets the credit they deserve and the military understands that the gratitude from us is implied. But why should it?

When you have a majority of the American people wanting to see Gitmo close down, a majority of Democrats wanting to slash the military, and many Americans view our veterans as ordinary people, I see it very clear that the honor we bestowed to the military is being taken for granted. What does it take to change that belief? Another attack? It is sad the our complacency is an inflicted disease that we have to endure. It's is not our fault. The freedom that we have taken for granted is the complacency we are condemned to live with.

I'm embarrassed to be a citizen of this great nation in the mist of pansy, me first, complacent, selfish, tree hugging, ignorant American Soviets.