Tuesday, May 26, 2009

I Hope Obamas Nomination Pick to the Supreme Court is Pro-Life

Barack Obama named liberal judge Sonia Sotomayor as his nomination pick to the Supreme Court. Even though it will be a mute issue of swapping a liberal for a liberal, there is one area that I keenly hoping for a small miracle and that is the abortion issue I already know how Sonia Sotomayor will legislate from the bench. She has already been on record stating so. She believes in making policy or making laws up as she deems fit and that her Hispanic ethnicity will provide better judgment than the white man.

Some friends asked me how I felt about Obama’s pick and I said, “Is she Catholic?” I got many dumbfounded looks from my co-workers. Already done my research and predetermined that Obama would pick the first Hispanic female to the bench, I knew she had one case on record dealing against abortion rights.

I told my fellow co-workers that in 2002, she wrote an opinion upholding the Bush Administration “Mexico City” policy of withholding federal funds for international groups that perform abortions. That case was Center for Reproductive Law and Policy vs. Bush. As a federal judge on the US court of Appeals for the Second Circuit and also a Catholic, she stated that the Bush anti-abortion policy didn’t constitute a violation of equal protection. She said, “the government is free to favor the anti-abortion position over the pro-choice position, and can do so with public funds.”

I know it is only one case and no one can clearly say how she will dictate herself on the Supreme Court, but I can only hope she can empathize her Catholic values and do what is right against abortion. I hear many liberal organizations like Planned Parenthood and other pro-choice groups are in full support of her nomination. I am hoping she will surprise many by being less of a hard leaning liberal and more of a centrist moderate, who favors pro-life. I can only pick my battles and I am trying to find something positive to hold on to with this liberal nominee so close to the highest court of the land.